You wouldn’t park your brand-new Bentley in the middle of a bustling intersection, would you? So why would you store your designer duds in a space that’s anything less than designer-approved? From tossing out those dry cleaner wire hangers to showcasing your collection of handbags, these storage techniques will give your closet instant street (style) cred. Read on for 7 chic and simple ways to make the most of your closet.
1. Purge your dated duds: First things first, get out the trash bags. Not sure which items deserve the boot (pun intended)? Our general rule of thumb is that if you can’t think of the last time you wore it, toss it! If that doesn’t work, channel your inner Marie Kondo and ask yourself, “Does it give me joy?” If the answer is no, then it’s probably time to say bye-bye!
2. Separate by season: Now that you’ve decided which pieces to part ways with, pull out all seasonally inappropriate clothes and place them in storage. Don’t have the luxury of an extra linen closet? Store your wardrobe in space-saver bags underneath your bed.
3. Stick with a color code: The quickest way to fake a clean closet is to organize your clothes by color. Begin by breaking up your wardrobe by product category and then color coding your clothes from light to dark. Don’t ignore jeans and sweaters folded horizontally on shelves. This is an easy way to make this messy area look far more refined.
4. Organize with drawer inserts: One of the biggest closet mistakes you can make is mixing items from different product categories. Keep your tees away from your trousers, and your sweaters away from your scarves by differentiating your drawers with dividers.
5. Add a mirror: Add a full-length mirror inside your walk-in closet or behind the door. Not only will this make your space more functional, but it’ll also make the room feel bigger
7. Showcase your favorite pieces: Accessorize your closet with well, your accessories. We love showcasing vintage luggage and designer bags, placing hats and scarves inside cute containers, and displaying your jewelry on stands and inside beautiful boxes.
6. Get uniform: One of the cardinal rules of closet organization is to pick a lane and stick with it. And nothing looks more cluttered than a hot mess of wooden, wire, and plastic hangers. While we’re big fans of wooden ones, consider thin felt hangers if you’re tight on space.