Urban gardens are all the rage right now. With spring here what better time to spend some time cultivating you very own garden. No space is too small if you use a little creativity.
1) A Calming Retreat – If you don’t have space for a large tree, but want to bring in that element use a tree stump as an end table. To replicate this serene look keep the background foliage simple and add a few subtle pops of color, tie in pillows or poufs.
3) What’s The Hang Up- To create this boho chic garden pair a statement piece of furniture like the beautiful yellow table below for a punch of color, and add pillows. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns and colors, use the wall for additional space, try hanging your garden.
4) Savory Herbs- This garden is not only pleasing to the eye, but also provides plenty of flavorful herbs. Perfect for those who love to cook, organic, and freshly picked by you! Try planting a few of these; lemon verbena, rosemary, basil, lavender, cilantro, oregano, strawberries, and even peppers.
5) Secret Garden- Create privacy by using small trees, tall grasses, and climbing vines in pots and use a trellis for vines to spread out (as below). Plant horsetail, bamboo, olive bushes for coverage. For aromatic florals try vines like jasmine, wisteria, and stephanotis. For color without floral notes try morning glory, mandevilla, and bougainvillea.
6) Envy of the Block- When space is limited it’s especially important to have a game plan. What will be the main use? What elements are most important to you? This small space packs a big punch. There is a clear path and flow of the space, size appropriate furniture. The landscaping is not overwhelming so you can enjoy the view.
7) Keep plants in boxes, planters, or pots, add casters to heavier plants in case you decided to move them around. You might find certain areas of your space get more or less sun rotate your plants accordingly. And if you relocate you can take your garden with you.
Fill your garden with your favorite smells, and textures. Gardening will get your blood flowing, and has been proven to lower stress. Remember to have fun and in no time you’ll reap your reward!
Genessa specializes in residential design. She has a great eye for color and can really upgrade your space no matter what your budget is. Check out Genessa’s work here or find out what your interior design style is by taking our brand new style quiz.